Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Trying to ignite the remains of the day


Alright Gooners. So you beat Hull, the team with the sour, sullen manager whose tactics conspire to choke the beautiful football of Arsenal FC, and you're elated to be in the semi-finals of the FA Cup! At least I hope you are.

And yet, there is the messy matter of Spitgate, which could easily evolve into one of those "Who Shot JR?" media frenzies if the hungry press have anything to do with it.


Now Cesc himself has gone on record about his class and character about spitting:
“I categorically deny that I spat at anybody after the match. I have never done this in my whole career on the pitch, so why would I do it when I am not even playing? I can understand the frustration of losing a game to a dubious goal, that has happened to me many times in my career as well. But this is not the fault of me or any of the Arsenal players.”


So how on earth does he explain this?





And more importantly, if it does come out that he spittled upon some Tigers underling, what happens next? Barry Glendenning has a few (sarcastic) ideas.

10 comments:

Nathaniel said...

“I categorically deny that I spat at anybody after the match. I have never done this in my whole career on the pitch, so why would I do it when I am not even playing? I can understand the frustration of losing a game to a dubious goal, that has happened to me many times in my career as well. But this is not the fault of me or any of the Arsenal players.”

When I imagine what Cesc sounds like when he's speaking, this doesn't sound like it at all. Too eloquent. Too English-as-a-first-language.

I would like to buy his first name a vowel sound.

Spectator said...

As Arseblog explained this morning, the Gooners are just elated to finally have a "controversy" that doesn't involve hatred of one of our players. Besides, if we've learned anything from the Patrice Evra handbags at Stamford Bridge, Fabregas will be suspended some time in 2011 (by which time he'll probably be playing for Barcelona).

phil said...

Methinks he doth protest too much.

Whizalen said...

shhhh, Cesc is a Gunner till he dies!

Eladio said...

"So how on earth does he explain this?"

Because it was Ballack. You can't count that one.

BackBergtt said...

Assuming that United players get treated the same as the rest of the league is a big mistake, watch for him to get his suspension right before a huge game.

Sarah said...

Apparently he claims that he never actually spit at Ballack, he was just yelling at him. He also never threw that pizza at SAF...

Well at least he's not throwing things/spitting at people I like.

I dunno, I think the whole thing is a little ridiculous. Especially after Brown also called him out on his dress sense. Because that's the most important thing in this situation.

The Fan's Attic said...

actually, that's a huge concern for the trendy Arsenal fans.

The NY Kid said...

I thought he looked snazzy

Jacob said...

There is no excuse...for that jacket.