Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Good, The Bad, The WTF

Whoops. Blown deadline here, I'm afraid. For the first time since (probably) January, this feature fails to appear on a Wednesday. Sorry, for all of those that set their calendar by the weekly look at footie shirts. I hope we can be forgiven. [Ed. Note: It was my fault... I got the date wrong!]

This time around, we will look at a Partick Thistle horror from the olden days. Billy Connolly has been toting around a joke for ages on the club he supported as a lad. How, when he was growing up, he mistakenly thought the club was name "Partick Thistle Nil", because that's how the club would be mentioned on the radio results shows. There's a slightly altered version here, if you skip ahead to around the 7 minute mark. I like the other version better.

Anyway, such jokes were most likely percolating even back when this shirt made its debut. That would be 1987, if my info is correct. I guess the club took the ribbing to heart, and came up with an unforgettable shirt.


Yellow and red are very hard to pull off together. Besides being the two colors a squad would least like to see in card form, putting them together can go horribly wrong. I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that this shirt is even better than the linked one. Why? Colonel Gee and his wonderful carpet.

It's not often that you can force three different fonts into a sponsor's logo, and this should serve as a warning of why it should not be tried. I'm no font nerd, but I wouldn't be surprised if these three are called Bad, Idea and Execution. Colonel Gee's apparently still exists, but seemingly has no web presence. Shame that.

You know what would have been awesome? If the sponsor was Colonel Angus' Carpets. I'd buy ten.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, Colonel Angus. It was so sad when he got demoted, and could only go by his real name: Annol Angus