Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Well, That Was Fun



The US beating the number one ranked team in the world, Spain, two-nil to reach its first final of a major international FIFA senior tournament is about as awesome as it can get for a US soccer fan. However, that "Do You Care?" poll on the ESPN frontpage (above) is not so awesome.

There's an unsubstantiated rumor out there that Bob Bradley had the following statment after the game:

"I'm happy to announce that I have agreed a lifetime contract with USMNT."
I'm kidding, only slightly though. This win will paper over a lot of the flaws exposed earlier in the Confederations Cup tournament. Spain also did not do itself any favors by not watching the Egypt game tape. You can count on Bradley maintaining a firm grasp on the coaching seat through at least the 2010 WC and probably beyond.

Let's not dwell in the negative. Rather, let us bask in the glorious golden shine of victory. This was epic. I only wish I could have watched it rather than just follow along online.

However, things will get a little bit awesomer this evening during the Showdown in Chinatown. UF has several people on the scene and hopes to have some updates throughout the day with plenty of coverage to come in the days following.

7 comments:

BackBergtt said...

"Let's not dwell in the negative"

That's just not my style.

Teeknuts said...

Obiously after Spain's performance the only option is to fire Rafa.

BackBergtt said...

"Obiously after Spain's performance the only option is to fire Rafa."

Comment of the year, give this man the ten thousand dollars, the contest is over.

The Fan's Attic said...

Funny, I thought it would be to hire Rafa.

Teeknuts said...

Damnit Georger, now you've got me watching Simpsons clips on youtube. There's my night

EbullientFatalist said...

Howard/Gooch 2012!!

dah_sab said...

Congratulations to the USA team. I'm not a fan, Italy's my team, but I have to hand it to the American team. Outshot 29-9 but they held firm, Timmy was outstanding and the team didn't die in the final 15 minutes as they had earlier in the tournament. The rest did them good.

Though I must say that I was looking forward to Spain-Brazil this weekend.