Friday, May 15, 2009

Know Thy Enemy!

Righto. I have had a couple of weeks to ease my thoughts towards next season and new surroundings. To adjust to the harsh, stark reality that NCFC will be plying their trade, and trying to counter the hoofaneers on offer in League One. And while many of the teams are familiar to old Bigus, as they have graced the Colaship in previous years, many are not. I need to learn more about Brentford and Spectator's Exeter City. As many of you will read my ramblings next season (or else), you too could do with some League One learnings.

Over the summer I will be looking at Fizzy 1 sides and finding out exactly who the f*ck they are!


Join me won't you, as I start with a butchers at....(Drumroll)....Leyton Orient!


Leyton Orient. Brisbane Road. I went there once to see Stevenage Borough play them in a cup tie. Nice day out. Never in a million years did I think that Norwich would have to go there in the league. Leyton Orient was the name that first popped out at me when I looked at the table. Leyton Orient, two words delivering a very unwelcome reality to my footballing door step. Who are these mythical orbicular wanderer's who journey the ranks of lower league football? What can Norwich City fans expect from a visit to this part of Laaaandon? And how will they get there?


Brisbane Road: This is the image I remember from my only visit. A giant block of flats offering a free view to Saturday afternoon offerings.

The O's were founded in 1881 and are currently owned by boxing promoter Barry Hearn. Notable boxers who have fought from Hearns stable include Lennox Lewis, Herbie Hide, Chris Eubank, Prince Naseem Hamed and Steve Collins. Hearn has been supremo at Orient since 1995.

Former players at Leyton Orient include management 'duffer' Glenn Roeder, current Villa left back Nickey Shorey, England keeper Peter Shilton and the incredible QPR legend Stan Bowles. Orient were Shiltons 11th and final club, he retired at 48 years old. The O's all-time top scorer is Tommy Johnson with 121. He netted 35 times during the 57/58 season. One famous local lad is David Beckham who was born in the area and lived there until he was 14 and kidnapped, I mean signed by Manchester United.


Leton Orient's badge. Will 3 points be cake?

So where is Brisbane Road?


The Matchroom Stadium, Leyton.

Leyton is in East London, just south of Walthamstow, home of 90's cheeky boy band 'East17'. The Matchroom stadium has a capacity of 9,271. The capacity record was set back in 1921 when the place held 38,219 for a game with Spurs. The nearest tube station to the stadium is 'Leyton' on the Central line.

The O's nearest local rival is West Ham but games between the two have been extremely rare over the years. However, they did beat West Ham whilst adventuring through their only year in the top flight during the 62/63 season.

This season Orient finished 14th with 56 points. I'll leave you with a gander at local lads East 17. Yes, people actually bought their records. They had several number one hits during a successful spell in the 90's. Shudder.


Deep: For anyone who ever wanted to play a piano, at night, on a football pitch.


Steam: Nice leather cap.


-Bigus

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been to Orient. I enjoyed it. Actually saw a dour 0-0 draw with Hull (in League Two) in the 01-02 season. As a West Ham fan, Orient always seemed like a plucky little brother more than an actual rival like Milwall.

Kopper said...

Scunthorpe just beat MK Dons 9-8 in PK's to advance to the final vs. Millwall. Unreal match. Tore Andre Flo hit post to end it for the Dons. Wow, I am not looking forward to playing the Dons next year.