Monday, January 5, 2009

Monday Backpasses: How do these work again?

It has been a while since I put one of these together. Bear with me.

Arsenal to lose their best shot at silverware this year [Guardian]
Tevez sick of Man U not giving him a contract [Guardian]
19 red cards, one match [The Spoiler]
Hucks homesick, it would seem [EDP 24]

Ashley Cole a child in a man's body. Also a money-grubbing dick [The Sun]
Ashley young priced at £75m. That's a lot of money for diving against Gillingham [Daily Mail]
England beat Scotland 1-0 [Gulf Daily News]
South Florida soccer columnist has tasted the Kool-Aid [Sun-Sentinel]

Finally:
MLS has an interesting new foe for American born talent: Mexico [SI]

6 comments:

BackBergtt said...

So I saw this headline over at foxsoccer: "United manager Sir Alex still respects FA Cup". Benign, of course. But when I saw it, it happened to be place right under some dirt on my screen and the dirt made it look like "United manager: Sir Alex still respects FA Cup", and I thought that dick had started referring to himself in the third person. I was not shocked in the least at the idea. Then I found five dollars.


That Hucks article is somewhat depressing, and I imagine Bigus is cutting himself while reading it and bleeding green and yellow like that dude in the NFL commercial.

Also, while I'm not the most patriotic of people, Mexican soccer pisses me off to no end and pictures like that flag thing just make me angry. I will be okay with never being a world power in the game, but dammit we better always beat Mexico.

phil said...

The flag thing doesn't piss me off Georger, for one simple reason: it's not an insult to the flag to hang it upside down. An upside down flag is used as a distress signal, especially by naval vessels. So every time I see a display such as the one pictured in this post, I smile, because all it signals to me is the complete ignorance of the one who constructed it.

That said, I agree that we should always beat the Mexican national team like a running mule.

Precious Roy said...

For all our differences, it's nice to know that we are all united in our absolute hatred of Mexican soccer... Except Carlos Vela, he's okay as long as he's not in El Tri colors.

EbullientFatalist said...

From the Hucks article:

"In fact there's only one problem with California, it appears - it's not Norfolk."

I said the same thing to myself when I was in La Jolla last year.

hockalees said...

If you had told me a month ago that Arsenal would lose the service of one of its players because of something stuck in their vagina, I would have told you it would be no loss for Eboue to miss some games.

Jacob said...

Nice one hockalees