Thursday, June 11, 2009

Hey Look At That!

I just happened to glance at our World Cup countdown widget over on the right and way down towards the bottom and what do you know? It is 365 days until the first match of World Cup 2010. Kickoff will be at 16:00 local time in Johannesburg, South Africa.

Personally, I cannot wait and neither can the South Africans, which is why they have planned festivities for the today.

At precisely 16:00 (if I have done the proper math it should be just about the same time as this is posted), South Africans across the country will stand up and blow a vuvuzela (that's the horn-like item they blow at soccer games seen in the picture on the left) and then sing the country's national anthem.

I'm imagining millions of South Africans tooting their zuzuvela's at that precise moment. This is something I really want to see pictures of today. That is your job today, find me pictures of these events.

Just to make sure everybody knows about this, a five-minute countdown will occur on radio stations in South Africa.

Capetown is going one up on everybody with festivities and noisemaking starting at noon.

Oh joyous days are the World Cup. Last time I watched every minute of every match. Some of it had to be taped and watched later, but I saw every last minute of even the dourest games. Alas, I do not foresee myself having the time to do that this time around. That's what happens when you are not unemployed during the World Cup.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HOW CAN YOU EVEN BLOG ABOUT ANYTHING ELSE THE FOOTBALL WORLD HAS STOPPED SPINNING FOR THE DAY IT'S ALL ABOUT CRON GATE