Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Good, The Bad, The WTF

Rules are made to be broken. Promises too. I'm not sure which one of these I'm really breaking, maybe it's just tradition. Either way, I'm celebrating Bryan Gunn's appointment as Norwich City manager (meaning that Calderwood remains safe for now) by doing two things I had privately said I would not: revisiting a team I had already done, and picking on keeper's shirts again. Oh well, at least the repeat offenders tag gets another run out.


Circa 1995, this is the very same shirt Bryan Gunn wore while (unsuccesfully) attempting to keep the Canaries in the Prem. How do I know that? Because of the other picture on the same page.

Hey, guess what? You can even own this very same shirt for just south of 50 bucks. I can imagine no better way to celebrate getting rid of Roeder and installing a rather popular guy to take over than buying a replica of said popular guy's ugly-ass shirt. Whisky, maybe, but it would have to be the good stuff.

Back to the shirt itself. Why were Norwich so ugly in the '90s? Besides the kit linked to above, there's a whole host of ugly shirts from the era here. Ouch, ouch, ouch. I can't even begin to formulate an actual argument against this shirt. It's there. It exists. You make fun of it.

Perhaps a designer at Mitre was especially fond of Picasso's blue period, yet not talented enough to pull off an homage. After all, the guy was working as a kit designer at Mitre. Not exactly the top of the mountain, if you get my drift. Of course, any job at Mitre, even the one that produces this dreck, is infinitely better than me sitting in my living room making fun of things on tha intarwebs.

In other news, I need a new job. Any leads out there?

4 comments:

Kopper said...

Ugly shirts build character!

Kopper said...

By the way, BBC is apparently reporting the rumor that Norwich are sniffing around Aberdeen's FB Lee Mair. Is he any good? Do we have a chance of landing him? Who is he?

Jacob said...

He can go. He has not seen regular pitch time since 03-04 at Dundee. He;s a local boy, so there will be some harrumphing, but he won't be missed much, I don't think.

I think Vidal's signing was the end of Mair's time at Pittodrie.

Bigus Dickus said...

He's played 11 times this season. But still I don't rate players from the SPL. Murray, Brellier, Lappin all came rated...ouch. Truth is the SPL is a poor league these days. It's best are Colaship and it's worst are League One.

Now a loan of Tiny Taylor would be the mother of loan signings til the summer!