Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Scotland Round Up


Yeah, I didn't get to this last week. The pain of seeing my club go bottom of the SPL precluded me from writing about it. Even Rangers shit-the-bed performance against previously last place St. Mirren couldn't rouse me to write about the SPL. That was pretty funny, though. Also, I will not be talking about the Scotland NT's performance against Norway. Suffice it to say that I was cheering in my living room before I had to stare blankly at my computer screen. "Why aren't they celebrating?" is the nicest way to put what went though my head.

Instead, I'll be looking at the different divisions of the SFL. I hope they don't disappoint me as well. I'd hate to have to start writing Highland League updates and explaining the difference between Junior and Senior clubs. Again.

In the First Division, two team are tied on points at the top. Queen of the South and Livingston both have 18 points after nine games. QotS, though, are clear leaders at this points, having a much better goal differential (+11 to +2). The reason? Queens slaughtered Livingston last week in their first head to head matchup, 6-1. Ouch.

The three SFL leagues all have 10 teams a league, and each team plays a double home and home with each other club. That's a fancy way of saying that each club has now played every other club in their league once. Close behind the two First Division leaders are Dunfermline, Partick Thistle and St Johnstone. Greenock Morton sits in last place, five points adrift of the ninth place squad.

Division Two sees Brechin City at the top by one point over Ayr United. Just off the pace are Raith Rovers and MJD's favorite place name, Peterhead. Not a lot to talk about there, excapt for the so far non-challenge put up by East Fife. There were pundits before the season who said that East Fife would pull off a double promotion with ease. Right now, they sit seven points back, due to some horrible home form. Four points in five games at Bayview will keep you midpack, or worse.

In Division Three, Stenhousemuir have gotten out to a blazing start. Undefeated through nine, they hold a strong five point lead over Dumbarton. Annan Athletic, the new team to the SFL, started the season off in a flyer. They have since come back to earth, losing their last three league matches. The match of the season, so far, for entertainment values, has to be Elgin City hosting Albion Rovers on September 20. The hosts picked up three red cards (one straight, two cumulative yellows), gave up six goals, but never gave up hope. In the 88th minute, down five goals and down to eight men, Elgin City's Darren Shallicker scored. Of course, Albion scored right back, but that's beside the point. Elgin City, somehow, sit bottom of the Third Division table.

Finally, for those that miss the SPL coverage, well I don't have anything for you. What I do have is a new SPL map from BillSportsMaps. Enjoy.

2 comments:

bergkampesdios said...

So long as Vale stays top I'm perfectly happy with a Highland League review.

Jacob said...

I will always pull for poor Fort William FC myself.