Friday, May 16, 2008

How not to endear yourself to the fans


I understand the temptation. As a former keeper myself, I know that sometimes you have to keep yourself entertained. For example, when the team I played for were far superior to our opponents, I would go on walkabout in the 18 yard box. With no fear of actually being involved in the play, I would trace the outside of the box with my footsteps. So, yes, I understand the temptation to inject a little more excitement into the game as a keeper.

However, I never played at the level this keeper does. Agustin Orion (a pretty kickass name) is the backstop for San Lorenzo, who hail from Argentina. Yesterday, in the Copa Libertadores, San Lorenzo hosted LDU-Quito from Ecuador. The story is not that the game ended in a 1-1 draw, but in how LDU got their away goal.


In the 36th minute, A San Lorenzo defender passed the ball back to Orion, who promptly started to juggle the ball. The second bit of keepy-uppy got away from him and--voila--LDU forward Claudio Bieler knocked the ball in the net.


Without further ado, I present the video highlights before someone pulls them. The fun you are looking for starts at 00:30.



3 comments:

Goat said...

Once while playing central defense I got chewed out for sitting down on the pitch during a game. My coach went on and on about it being disrespectful or some such bullshit. I could have taken a nap and never been troubled by the other team so I didn't see what the big deal was.

Jacob said...

Yeah. I did the same in high school. It cost me an outright all-conference selection. I had to share with my backup from my club team.

The NY Kid said...

I seriously considered doing this on Wednesday, as my team won 11-1. In fairness to me, it was raining and cold, so all of meandering around the box served to keep me warm, as well as awake.