Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Arshavin Wants Nou Move.



Flash back to January this year. Tiny forward Andre Arshavin arrives at Arsneal after a protracted transfer saga. He stands in the chilly night outside the Emirates Stadium with a big smile on his face, declaring his love for Arsenal. His dreams have "come true". Well now he is singing a different tune, reinforcing the belief that there is no loyalty in football, just greed.


February 2009:
"I am happy to be at Arsenal. It was my dream." - Andre Arshavin.

June 2009:
"If I have the chance to play for Barcelona, I'd be really happy." -Andre Arshavin.

Now, it could be that Arshavin was suckered into the comment and his words were taken out of context. Sure, that's always possible in the world of tabloid journalism. BUT...I can easily believe that Arshavin, who is now 28 years old, would relish another big pay day and a big money move to the Catalan giants, if such a move was possible. Barca are looking to go shopping and maybe replacing Samuel Eto'o over the next few weeks. Why not show some interest and see how it plays?

If I was Arsene Wenger I would be pissed. Still, no one should be surprised. Most footballers are out for what they can get these days and see loyalty as an old fashioned concept.

Shame really.

18 comments:

Whizalen said...

this was first reported in The Sun. Enough said, right?

Bigus Dickus said...

It's a quote. He said it. And while being a rag, The ol' Sun is far more reliable with their football stories than the Guardian. Surprisngly enough. I find anyway.

Whizalen said...

no, I'm not denying it's an actual quote from the tiny Russian. I think it's all a set-up, just like Cesc's quotes. "Would you like to play for the best team in the world?" "Oh, heaven's no, I would never want to play ridiculously attractive football with four or five of the best players in the world on a ridiculous salary? Who would want that?" I'm confident he'll be starting for the gunners next season

I'm curious what our formation looks like next year. It seems like if we can land a solid, hard defensive midfielder that a 4-3-3 is likely given our personnel. Only time will tell..

Bigus Dickus said...

If the quote is not a real one, then they will be sued by the tiny russian. I doubt it however. Even the sun does not make up quotes, but Whizaken is probably spot on that it's taken out of context. Time will tell. But even out of context, you have to know what you are saying.

Bigus Dickus said...

*Whizalen. Sorry mate!

Bigus Dickus said...

hmmm, look at this gents...

http://www.skysports.com/football/euro2008/story/0,23063,11966_3732606,00.html

"I have supported Barcelona all my life," Arshavin told euro2008.com. "Barcelona are my dream. "

Seems he dreamed of Barca, before he dreamed of Arsenal. Based on this i'd say he would still jump at the chance to move.

Did he say it now Spec?

The NY Kid said...

I heard Bryan Gunn announced that he will be the new Ipswich gaffer

EbullientFatalist said...

I heard Norwich was going to seek a ground-share agreement with Ipswich - at Portman Road.

Anonymous said...

He is upset because he wasn't aware of the 50% tax on his 80,000 per week wages.

Bigus Dickus said...

Have a quote from Mr Gunn boys? I have one from Arshavin. In fact he has said the same thing twice. Here are the outlets that ran this story today and tweeted it.

http://tweetmeme.com/search.php?for=arshavin

The NY Kid said...

I heard Bryann Gunn tweets Ipswich lasses.

Bigus Dickus said...

I heard the NY Kid wears a Spurs shirt to bed.

The NY Kid said...

you're disgusting

Bigus Dickus said...

I also heard that you have a Chas n' Dave cd in your car.

BackBergtt said...

Welcome to my life Arsenal fans. Retarded players saying things they shouldn't, but likely including qualifying statements like 'but I'm not leaving' that get left out by the media.

WhiteSpeedReceiver said...

Oh, who gives a fuck about Arsenal and the players they're going to lose? The dark Lord got his claws into Antonio Valencia. I think I'll go sacrifice a cat in his honor.

Unknown said...

A bunch of us were dissecting this article on our Arsenal forum earlier today. The quote is unattributed and undated. I do believe that he said it, but I also believe it was in a similar fashion to what happened to Cesc last week.

Basically, British press are a bunch of douches who need to stop teasing players to say shit they don't really mean. I have no doubt that Arshavin wants to stay at Arsenal and should we finally buy a CDM and another CB, I think we can compete for every trophy this season.

Kopper said...

I just wanted you to know that I have such confidence in Bryan Gunn, that I am laying 9/4 that we get promoted. We are the 2nd favorite behind Leeds (8/13).

You may now go about your business. These aren't the droids we're looking for, move along.