Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Good, The Bad, The WTF

I really don't have the words for this week's offering. No matter what I try to type, I know it will not do justice to the wonders of the shirt. So, sit back, take it in, and try to keep a straight face.


I can hear it already, a hundred or so voices saying, "So what? It's a pink shirt". To that I say--wait. First I'm going to tell you a bit about the club.

Sport Boys, whose information I'm wantonly stealing from Wikipedia, is a top flight club from Peru. They have been around since 1927, and have always featured pink as their main color. They have not won a championship since 1984. They are famous in Peru for being the first club to feature cheerleaders, some of whom have become national celebrities. In recent times, the club has struggled, and wages have not been paid for months.

So, why then, have I chosen to feature this shirt, which you can purchase on eBay through Friday? Because I haven't shown you the whole shirt yet.


Wow.

That floating face on the bottom of the shirt is Hector Lavoe, deceased Salsa star from Puerto Rico. How did he get on the shirt? I have no idea. The closest I can find is that Callao, the home town of Sport Boys, has a strong Salsa presence. Lavoe played to 100,000 people in Bogota, Colombia in 1986. There is no evidence that Lavoe sported a jersey, nor is there any evidence, based on my quick search, that Lavoe ever did any more than visit Callao. In short, he had nothing to do with the club.

So this shirt is likely a one-off. A fan, moved by both Sport Boys and that timeless music of Lavoe, decided to merge his two loves. Over time, one of those loves softened, and the shirt has made its way to eBay for sale. I wholly recommend that anyone who loves Salsa, and doesn't mind wearing the pink shirt of a soon-to-be-liquidated club, pick it up and send us pictures.

5 comments:

The Fan's Attic said...

Brian McFadden heartily disapproves.

BackBergtt said...

that is epic
when i scrolled down i felt like giving the shirt a round of applause

Goat said...

That looks like one of those Che Guevara shirts all the young hipsters are wearing. If, you know, Che hung around for a few more years, fat-Elvis style.

EbullientFatalist said...

Oh, well done, sir. Well done.

Unknown said...

No way you could fit him in a cannon.