Thursday, May 21, 2009

Sounders Players Dominate Initial All-Star Votes


Seattle Sounders fans are showing the perils of fan based all-star voting. Granted it is only one week into the MLS All-Star voting, but as it stands there would be eight Sounders players in the starting eleven.

Seattle goalkeeper Kasey Keller leads all players in voting. Other Seattle players in the starting eleven as of right now: Frederick Ljungberg, Fredy Montero, Steve Zakuani, Osvaldo Alonso, Tyrone Marshall, Jhon Kennedy Hurtado and Sebastian Le Toux. The only non-Sounders are LA Galaxy's Landon Donovan, Toronto FC's Dwayne De Rosario, and Columbus Crew's Frankie Hejduk.

Seattle Sounders fans have obviously set the bar high for other fans with their committed attendance and support of the players. Although, I would like to know how many actual votes have been received.

Amazingly, MLS permits fans to vote up to 10 times per day. Thankfully, MLS only has fan voting count for 25% of the total vote, with media, general managers and coaches comprising the remaining 75%.

3 comments:

JT said...

Hopefully they're not just rewarding Keller for his long and illustrious career, like the players did with Giggsy

Dustin said...

What's wrong with that? These awards are subjective and pointless anyways. Kinda like a Hallmark card, give it to tell them thank you for the years you've put in.

The Fan's Attic said...

Call me old fashioned, but I think these sorts of awards should be more merit based than based on who plays for what team. I'm glad to see that the fans don't have a complete say. Moreover, much of this has a financial component to it as well and I would rather see meritorius selections for financial compensation than other types of selections.

I will say this though, good on the Sounders fans for being so proactive and supportive. It is nice to see. Even if Seattle sucks.